Pages

Labels

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

"To My Debbie"

In the early morn of April tenth
     relieved I breathed a sigh.
A happy ending finally
     when I heard your tiny cry.
The nurse said "it's a beautiful girl"
     the doctor said "she's healthy".
If I'd been living in poverty
     at that moment I was wealthy!
It seemed like time would never pass
     before they brought you in
and I could feel you in my arms
     and touch your fragile skin.
I'd seen so many babies before
     so precious and so small
but of anything I'd ever experienced
     this moment topped them all.
I remember how you sighed and cooed
     and though it was seventeen years away
These memories are so vivid still
     as though it were only yesterday.
I marveled at the miracle I held
     amazed, verifying each tiny part.
Ten little fingers-ten toes too
     I didn't know where to start!
The nurse had taken special pains
     to tie a silky red bow
among your locks of curly black hair,
     Oh! If only you could know-
How much I was filled with pride and love
     as I held your tiny being.
The same young lady, now seventeen
     that in your sleep I'm seeing.
Captions of memories and feelings
     representing the passing years.
And fragments of times I cherish so
     make up a volcano of tears.
Tears I guess, both happy and sad-
     sad because along the way
there were things I should have done and didn't.
     Did I overlook things I should say?
It's important to me for you to have
     the things that left me void.
I want to shelter you from all pain
     though some things you can't avoid.
Other tears represent memories of-
     so many things we've been through.
How ironic the parallels of two lives cross
     as if we were one-not two!
Thank you for all the loving times
     you've brought me over the years.
For countless times of moral support
     that minimized doubts and fears.
It seems I could write forever and still
     not even  begin to touch
on the multitude of feelings I feel
     because you mean so much.
God knew before I knew myself
     that I couldn't be complete
without a daughter like you beside me
     to help me conquer defeat.
To help remind me when I'm feeling
     all reasons for living are gone-
There's a reason more vital than myself
     and for it I must go on.
He knew just how a daughter should be
     how she should look, what she should do
to give me pride in life's highest form,
     that's why God gave me you!  

                                          Love,
                                                   Mom

(Written April 10th, 11th & 12th of 1979)

This poem was written for me for my birthday.  I turned 17 on April 10, 1979.  One month later, on May 8th, my mother was killed in a car accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment