Pages

Labels

Sunday, August 28, 2011

BONNIE'S HEAD INJURY

Sunday night Aug. 28, 2011

Going out to the barn to feed the horses I discovered Bonnie looking sad and maybe stunned?,  blood dripping and drying from a fresh head wound.  Don't know what she did but it looks bad.  Laid her forehead wide open.  Really needs stitches but vets are closed this hour of night.  Meagan and I attempted to clean it and take a better look at it but it only looked worse when we could really see it.  Of course, she doesn't want anyone near it so doctoring her was difficult.  Called my good friend Carl for some assistance and he was good enough to come out at eleven o'clock at night.  He successfully cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide and sprayed an antibiotic medication called Vetericyn into it.  This was not done without much resistance from Bonnie (I stood outside the stall while he wrestled her down ) and some damage to the barn wall that separates two stalls.  But the task was done.  Not enough I'm afraid as I think she needs more than we can give here.  Tomorrow I will call Dr. Jenkins, our local veterinarian whom I have not met yet but I hear good things about him and have seen his clinic which is nice.  Jeeze, she looks bad.  Don't know how she did it but I think she was either running from Terra or running from these idiots doing target practice with guns next door, and banged her head on the top of the barn.  Poor baby :(      Warning, the following picture is a little gory.


This is after we cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and sprayed an antibiotic  ointment on it.

UPDATE:  Monday Morning Aug. 29, 2011

So, today Bonnie still looks just as pitiful as yesterday.  I called Dr. Jenkins' office who said they could see her at 2:30 today.  I don't have a trailer so I have to rely on someone else to help me get her there.  Isn't there a deadline for sutures for horses like there are for people?  Dr. Jenkins' said he could probably still suture her.  I sure don't have the money for this.  Then I decided to call Kris Anderson, the vet who came out to Bobby and Joellyn's place and did the coggins test on the horses.   She has a mobile service.  She also had me email her a picture of the injury.  She said she'd be out here at 7:30PM.    Hope that goes well.  Waiting for 7:30.

Also, I did find out where she hit her head.  It's a 2x4 that runs down the roof of the barn and is at the entrance to Terra's stall.  She was probably running full force, scared of something knowing her, and hit it head on.  I wouldn't be surprised if it knocked her down or knocked her out completely.  Glad I didn't see that happen,  I would have freaked out!

UPDATE:  Monday evening Aug. 29, 2011

The vet came out as promised at 7:30 last night.  It took about an hour and a half to treat her.  She was heavily sedated.  I thought she was going to fall over but she didn't although her head must weigh 50 pounds by itself as I noticed while trying to hold it up for her.  Poor thing, she really did a good number on it.  In the end, we couldn't stitch it completely as she had a good sized indention in the middle of it that needs to drain so we cleaned it up, removed the hair around it, sutured the edge and pulled the flap down over it leaving the bottom to drain.  She also got several injections, two for sedation (one was not holding her), one antibiotic, one anti-inflammatory/pain med and a tetanus shot.  Then the vet sprayed this silver stuff on top of it to keep the flies off of it and we braided the rest of her mane around it to keep her hair out of it.  She was so drugged she could hardly walk back into her stall but she's all fixed up now.  From here, we follow up with twice a day antibiotics orally and twice a day anti-inflammatory/pain med.  We clean it if we can but I can assure you she's not letting anybody near it, probably for the rest of her life!  This is what it looks like:

Me holding her head which, I found out, is quite heavy!

Notice the stitches on the right side.

Kris Anderson, DVM preparing to give her one of her many injections.  Notice how Bonnie's legs are splayed out.  She's barely standing here.

The final product.  That silver stuff will keep the flies away.


She was able to eat and drink after about an hour and she looked like she had been through hell, which she had.  I felt so, so, sorry for her.  She needed lots of love after all of that.

The bill was $187.00 for the whole thing including the medication she left here for me to give her.  I paid her $100.00 and will pay the rest when I can.  Not too bad really, but money I sure did not have to spend.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand how she could have panic from the shooting. Not this year but last year and on every 4th of July the Wynne Unit horses panic from the fireworks. But it looks like she will pull through. We have a horse at the unit that cut her belly open on the fence. She's fine and dandy and full of pep now. Good Luck and God Bless. Mark

    ReplyDelete