Pages

Labels

Thursday, August 11, 2011

THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE

     The Sky is Everywhere is the story about a young high school girl who's only sister has died about a year ago.  It was referred to me by my brother Ricky, like so many of the books I read.  I don't think this book would resonate with everyone the way it did with us but because of the loss of our mother, both he and I really related to this girls feelings.  I ended up highlighting several passages in the book that I remember feeling then or still feel now.  For instance, when she, Lenny meets a boy she likes and is swept up in the excitement and happiness of the moment, talking with her friend about it and she has a sudden jolt of realization when she says; "but then all of a sudden the breath is kicked out of me and I'm shoved onto the cold hard concrete floor of my life now, because I remember I can't run home after school and tell Bails about a new boy in band.  My sister dies over and over again, all day long."  Man, I remember that feeling.  I don't know how someone could write the emotions in this story unless they have felt that exact pain and loss.  There were so many points when I was surprised by the things she says that hit home to me and I knew.
     The book talks about her confusion about her feelings about two boys, one is her dead sister's boyfriend and one is a new boy in school who "will only ever know this new sisterless me."  With the one, she is finds comfort and someone who can share her grief and the love of her sister and with the other, she is lifted out of her depression and into a place that doesn't include her grief and loss.
     My niece read the book too and she didn't get it but again, I think you only could if you have experienced that kind of a loss so, probably a great book for those of us who know the feeling and a so-so book for those who don't.  I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment