Pages

Labels

Friday, August 12, 2011

Dena's Blood Sugar Out of Whack

     Kyle and Dena have run out of money before they could meet all their needs and Dena ran out of insulin two days ago.  She takes a lot normally to keep her managed and her being out is definitely not a good thing.  Kyle called me from work today and said he was worried about her, that she had been upset and angry earlier, went home and now is not answering the phone.  Sine she was found unresponsive on the bathroom floor when first diagnosed, and since she's been hospitalized since for out of control blood sugars, we tend to take this kind of thing rather seriously.  I called, she didn't answer my calls either so I went to Wal Mart and bought her insulin, both 70/30 and Regular for $25.00 each.  What she's really supposed to have is a Lantus insulin instead of the 70-30  which you cannot get without a prescription and which costs over a hundred dollars a vile.  She didn't want me to bring it to her so I picked Kyle up from work and brought him to the apartment.  I talked to him this evening and he her blood sugars are improving so that's good.  Sometimes, if they get too high, you can not correct it at home and that means another hospital visit.  I think something is seriously wrong with our health care system when a young girl who makes minimum wage, and no insurance company will cover her "pre-existing" condition, can not find affordable insulin to manage her blood sugars.  But, who listens to me?  And why do the American people not want universal healthcare?

No comments:

Post a Comment