Pages

Labels

Saturday, August 13, 2011

HORSES HOME!

     It took a little work but I got the horses home today.  Bobby and Joellen, the 'trainers' I hired didn't turn out to be very good trainers, or people for that matter.  Oh well, live and learn.  They said to be there at 12:00 today, I had to load, (great, they know I probably can't) but that they would drive them home since I don't have a trailer.  But when I got there they were no where to be seen and when I called them they said no that they would not help move them at all.  So, I put in a call to some people I thought could help and in the end Shannon and James from Dawson's Equestrian Center  came and moved them for $40.00.  This is also good because she is the one I wanted to train in the first place and this gave her a chance to evaluate them.  She said that from watching them load and unload and seeing how they handle her impression is that both horses 'have some holes' and 'distrust' issues which  is what I thought too.  I don't think it will be a big deal to correct once we know better what we are doing.  About an hour after we left Bobby's place I got a nasty text message from them.  They actually called me a 'stupid idiot!' and said "Thank God you and your horses are gone".  I started to reply something like "Um...see you in second period?"  but decided just to leave it alone.  People really do amaze me sometimes.
    I do love these horses though and want to keep them.  And on the real up side, maybe the $200.00 wasn't wasted after all since Meagan seems to have gained a lot of confidence with Terra and tonight when we went out to feed them (at home which is sooo much easier than driving across town to do it),  she wanted to lunge her.  In complete confidence she proceeded to do just that and both she and Terra were amazing!  We worked for about 15 minutes and quit which was perfect.  I think we can......I think we can.......I think.......
I need to video tape her the next time so you can see.
     I have spent hours looking at youtube horse training videos and have learned so much.  One guy in particular is really good.  (I think I was supposed to marry this man but somehow that got missed...dang-it!)  Anyway, I don't even know his name but he starts from the ground up and walks you right through a good training plan day by day and has some good information.  He is with Second Chance Equine and he's a good one to learn from.  I have seen these methods done in person and they really do work but seeing and doing are two different things.  The first thing you have to have is 'horsesense' and comfort handling horses.  I used to have this but it seems that as I get older I get more afraid of being hurt and don't have the same fearlessness I once had.  Very skidish these days, must work through it.  I refuse to get old!!!!  Do not go gently into that good night!  Rage, rage against the dying of the light!!! (Getting old(er) really really sucks.  Well, maybe I will be able to live precariously through my amazing daughter. (Is that bad?)  Why did I not stick with horsemanship since my youth?  I have always loved it?  Jumped track somewhere I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment