Pages

Labels

Tuesday, December 13, 2022

 Clan of the Cave Bear

by Jean M Auel


This is a book first published in 1980 and later made into a film in 1986.  It is the first in the "Earth's Children" series.  I first read this book in my 20's, somewhere around the 1980's.  I've always remembered and enjoyed it so I decided to reread it recently and, true to my memory it's still good.  In fact, my daughter bought the entire 6 book series for me and I'm reading the fifth book now. 

It's the story of  Ayla and her life during the pre-historic ice age who, at the age of 5, finds herself separated from her family due to an earthquake.  Wondering around by herself and near death, she is found by a "clan" of Neanderthal's and saved.  She is raised by the medicine woman of the clan.

The story gives much history of pre-historic life, how they lived, cooked, communicated, used plants, herbs, medicine, weapons and their daily life.  It is somewhat controversial due to it's honest depiction of sexual behavior and the accepted 'norms' of the times.  

The author, Jean Auel has done a great deal of research into this time and place and how the people lived and gives a really interesting story using the little girl.  It is of a transitioning time between the Neanderthal's and "The Others".  The Neanderthal's are destined for extinction and "The Others" are destined to evolve and live on.

Would highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment